Monday, May 19, 2008

Catching Up ~ The Calm Before The Storm

Today (Monday) was a short work day. I drove the 3 1/2 hours from Lake Havasu City to Phoenix in order to make it to the floor today at 1:00 pm. We voted on several bills, none of them very controversial, (one bill dealing addressing gun rights and self-defense was held) and then adjourned until tomorrow at 10:00 am. There were nine legislators absent today and I expect that to be typical for the rest of the session.

The activity at the Capitol has slowed to a snail's pace and there just isn't a lot for the rank and file members to work on while leadership formulates a plan of action to address the $2 Billion dollar shortfall so some members choose to stay in their district (if they are out-of-county) and address constituent concerns. Other members put in a little extra time at their paying jobs while all is quite at the Capitol.

Tomorrow, after floor at 10:00 we have a caucus of the House Republicans. I should have a bit more information to share about the timeframe and direction of the budget. I also have been invited to attend a budget meeting with House Majority Leader, Representative Tom Boone and House Whip, John McComish. From all that I have been reading via the Internet (blogs and newspaper) the subject of borrowing will be the topic of discussion. That, in addition a new tax increase being proposed by my colleague Andy Tobin. I do not have the details of his proposal...another colleague of mine just mentioned it to me briefly. As usual, as soon as I am clear on the details, I will post them here,

Wednesday, the Lake Havasu Area Chamber of Commerce is hosting a Governor's Luncheon at Shugrue's. Representative McLain and I were entertaining with the idea of attending (Gould flat out said no) since the Speaker of the House, Representative (Jim) Weiers mentioned that he would like for us to be there. As much as I like to support our local chamber, I am having second thoughts about attending. I really do not have the patience or fortitude to stomach the Governor's spin/perspective/lies on the state of Arizona, it's economy, and future without having an opportunity at the luncheon to rebut her statements. Having to sit silent while she spins reality into what I have come to know as her parallel universe is about as fun to me as a trip to the dentist. That, coupled with the hope that we could have some movement on the budget this week gives me a valid excuse to skip the lunch. (Yay! Thanks for sticking with me while I worked that decision out as I typed.) I echo the feeling of Senator Gould when I told him about the $30.00 per person cost of the luncheon. He said, "Yikes! You'd have to pay me at least double to listen to her!" Amen Senator Gould!

In closing, please send an email to Senate President Tim Bee respectfully encouraging him to bring to a vote of the Senate the measure that would constitutionally define marriage as a union solely between one man and one woman. Senator Bee's email address is tbee@azleg.gov.

REMINDER: I still need signatures on petitions for my re-election. If you would like to have a petition mailed to you, please call 928-855-5413 and speak to my biggest supporter and #1 fan, my husband, Frank Groe. He will be more than happy to mail you a petition with a stamped return envelope, or, if you live in LHC, he will drop one off at your house. As always, thank you for allowing me to be your conservative voice here at the Capitol!

No comments: