Saturday, February 2, 2008

T.G.I.S.A.

Thank God it is Saturday afternoon!

I cannot describe how great it is to be vegging with my (World's Greatest) husband in front of the television, Tivo'd Friday Night Lights playing in the background, while I catch up on all of my blog reading & internet surfing.

This morning Frank & I attended the Lake Havasu Republican Forum. State Senator Ron Gould was there, petition in hand, talking about his proposed tax initiative (which I co-sponsored). Mohave County Public Defender Dana Hlavac spoke to a crowded room, explaining daily challenges he faces with case overloads and tight budget times, expounding on the dismal situation hinted at in the local media. Thank goodness the Mohave Board of Supervisors found additional funds to supplement the budget of the Public Defender's office. At the end of the forum, we took a poll on who we supported for the Presidential Primary; McCain won, then Romney followed by Huckabee.

Friday afternoon, on the way home to Lake Havasu from Phoenix I stopped in Parker to meet with Lori Wedemeyer, Parker Town Manager and several council members who graciously took time out of their day. It was a long-overdo face to face to discuss upcoming and alarming state budget cuts that have the potential to cripple cities and counties as the Legislature mulls raiding designated funds such as SLIF (State Lake Improvement Funds), HURF (Highway User Revenue Funds), and State Shared Revenue. I pledged to do all that I can to maintain the integrity of these funds though the battle will be bloody. The meeting ended with an invitation from the Parker officials to join in all of the activities slated to celebrate Parker's 100 Year Anniversary. There is a parade so you know we will be there...Frank loves driving and all of the free candy!

Before arriving at the homestead we stopped off at the Aquatic Center to cast our vote in the Presidential Preference Primary. As much as I am thankful for the opportunity to vote early, I will miss going to the polls on Tuesday, the day of the election. The privilege of voting, the tradition of of voting on election day, the freedom to vote...all make me rejoice...my heart sing. What an awesome place in which we live!

Tonight is a spaghetti fundraising dinner for one of the local schools so we are off to help the school by expanding our waistline. We are always ready to do our part when it comes to food! I am looking forward to seeing some familar faces, friends we dearly miss most January through June when session keeps us in Phoenix.

P.S.

Hello to my wonderful Gram in snowy Illinois, who reads this blog despite all of the dry political posts...hello, hello, I love and miss you!

No comments: