Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Legislative Update

Dear Friends,

Governor Napolitano just vetoed the immigration bill. I have provided a copy of the bill summary and the veto letter.

As far as the budget is concerned, we have 8 Republicans absent this week and expect 6 absent next week. This does not include Representative Ray Barnes who collapsed on the House Floor yesterday, the victim of a heat attack. He is stable now but expected to be out for the remaining of the session. With all of these absences, a budget vote is not expected until at least the 14th of June.

Leadership, both in the house and senate continue to negotiate between themselves and with the Governor, without much progress, as far as I am concerned. Constitutionally, if we do not have a budget by June 30th the government is suppose to shut down. Those of us outside of leadership continue to show up daily for the two or three bills we hear each day. By law we are to be open 4 days a week while in session.

Please continue to call my office with any questions or concerns you might have, knowing that whatever is in the budget proposal is fluid and likely to change. I continue to fight for additional reform and much lower government spending, not liking the path taken at this point of the large budget and my fears, well-grounded in the history past budgets are that the spending/budget is only going to increase. I will not support this as there are already redundant programs and agencies that play fast and loose with taxpayer money.

F.Y.I.

I will be in town this weekend attending the LHC Chamber Luncheon on Friday then traveling to Kingman for their Chamber’s Installation Bash that evening. On Saturday I will be in Kingman for the Kids Fishing Day that starts at 6:00am at the D’Abro’s Pond on Stockton Hill Road. Sunday after church at the LHC Elk’s Club I will be attending their 11:00am Flag Day ceremony.

Blessings to you and those you love,

Trish


No comments: